Income Taxes

As an international student, scholar, or employee at Anna Maria, you may have federal and state tax reporting obligations. Tax laws are complicated and the International Center is not authorized to provide any tax advice. However, we hope the information and links provided below are helpful.

The U.S. tax system is based on a calendar year (Jan. 1 to Dec. 31). This means that the income you earn during this time period is used to calculate the amount owed in taxes for that year.

U.S. income taxes are calculated at both the U.S. federal (national) level as well as the state and sometimes even the local (city) level. There are different tax rules and different tax rates for federal, state, and local income taxes.

The U.S. has a “pay as you go” tax system. This means that taxes are usually taken out or “withheld” from your pay each pay period. Then, you submit a tax return by April 15 of the following year to determine whether you paid too much or too little tax during the year. If you have paid too much, you will get a refund. If you have paid too little, you will need to pay the difference between what you had withheld and what you owe in taxes.

Filing Taxes in the U.S

Our office is not licensed to assist with taxes. However, a free tax program software called Sprintax , can help you file your taxes. The Office of International International Programs and Services will be hosting sessions with a representative from Sprintax to demostrate3 this software throughout the spring. If want to participate to the session please check the available time list here

U.S. Federal Tax Residency

Tax residents and tax non-residents can take advantage of different benefits and claim different deductions (deductions reduce the amount of income tax you owe) based on a tax treaty.

A tax treaty is an agreement between the U.S. and another country that allows for residents of the foreign country to be taxed at a reduced rate or be exempt from U.S. income taxes. It is important to note that not every country has a tax treaty with the U.S., and the terms of each treaty are different and can change year to year. A full detailed list of current tax treaties between the U.S. and other countries can be found in IRS Publication 901 — U.S. Tax Treaties.

Tax Withholding

Tax withholding is when you have taxes taken from your earnings by the entity providing you with U.S. income, and the entity sends it to the IRS and state tax agencies, if applicable, on your behalf. In addition to employment, certain other types of income-generating activities like stipends and prizes and awards may be subject to tax withholding.

The amount of income that is withheld for tax depends on your tax residency and your estimated yearly tax obligation. In addition, some tax non-residents may have tax treaty benefits (see above) that will affect the overall rate (percentage) that is withheld.

Undergraduate Students
With Campus Employment

If you are an undergraduate student with an on-campus employment position and have questions regarding your Form W-4 and other IRS forms, please contact the Office of Financial Assistance.

Graduate Students
and Employees

If you are an undergraduate student with an on-campus employment position and have questions regarding your Form W-4 and other IRS forms, please contact the Office of Financial Assistance.

Filing Federal and State Income Tax Returns

Federal Returns

All international students and scholars are required to file some kind of tax return to the U.S. government. Even if you did not receive any income, you are still required to complete and submit Form 8843.

It is important to understand that filing a tax return does not necessarily mean that you will owe taxes. In fact, you may receive a refund if the amount that was withheld from your pay was more than your tax obligation.

Massachusetts Returns

If you have earned less than $8,000 gross during the tax year, you do not need to file a Massachusetts state tax return. However, if you did work and taxes were withheld, you could receive a refund and therefore filing a return would be beneficial to you.

Obtaining Your W-2 Form

A W-2 is a tax form that you need in order to file your tax returns if you worked in the U.S. during the tax year. You can obtain this in the College Payroll office.

Sprintax Non-Resident
Tax Preparation Software

What is Sprintax?

The International Center has purchased a license for a tax preparation software specifically designed for international students and scholars who are non-residents for tax purposes. Anna Maria College  students are able to use Sprintax free of charge to file their federal and Massachusetts state tax returns.

Sprintax Webinars

To assist with tax filing season, Sprintax typically offers a series of free webinars that are available to Anna Maria College students. More information about this will be sent to you directly from the International Services Office.

How to Use Sprintax

You will receive an email with a code and detailed instructions from the ISSO in January

Register on the Sprintax website and follow the simple instructions.

  • Complete the online questionnaire
  • Enter your unique code which you received by email.

Sprintax will prepare your tax return — if you have any questions, the Sprintax team will be happy to help via its 24/7 live chat facility.

Contact Information and Additional Resources from Sprintax

If you need help while using Sprintax,

contact them:

24/7 Live Chat Help

Refer to their FAQs

Send an email to

Call: 1-866-601-5695

Sprintax also provides helpful educational resources

    • Sprintax YouTube account
      Here, you have access to a number of educational videos on non-resident taxes to provide further clarity on the subject of using Sprintax and non-resident tax. Learn More
    • Sprintax Blog
      The Blog has tax-related topics and can be of use to you. Learn More

Drop-In Advising Hours at the International Center

In-Person Advising:

  • Mondays 3 – 8:00 p.m.
  • Tuesdays 2 – 4:30 p.m.
  • Wednesdays 1 – 2:30 p.m.
  • Thursdays 3 – 8:00 p.m.

Zoom Advising: (click on link below):