Department: Financial Aid
Job Type: Full Time
Job description: The Director of Financial Aid is responsible for the overall management and administration of all student financial aid as well as the operation of the Financial Aid Office. The director will hire, train, and provide professional development opportunities and mentoring to all financial aid staff members. The director will be expected to work closely with consulting organizations that work to assist the college in both operational areas and in planning associated with financial leveraging models used in packaging undergraduate students. The director will be expected to work closely with institutional colleagues to meet enrollment and retention goals and to be an effective collaborator, working with partners across campus to develop and implement policies regarding the awarding of institutional aid in a manner that supports and promotes the enrollment goals of the college. In collaboration with the Vice President, the director is responsible for the development, oversight, and implementation of the financial aid leveraging strategies, financial aid policies, and awarding practices to ensure the efficient and strategic distribution of aid. Additionally, the Director of Financial Aid will demonstrate by example a clear commitment to providing excellent customer service, reinforcing Anna Maria Colleges commitment to student-centered college experience. Candidates should be able to clearly demonstrate the ability to promote financial literacy of students and families as it relates to student financial aid.
Specifically, the Director will be expected to:
- administer a financial aid program that offers personal and quality service to all Anna Maria Colleges students and their parents;
- work in collaboration with our consulting organizations. FA Solutions and EAB.
- coordinate efforts with the Bursar, Registrar, Information Technology, Institutional Research Admissions, Graduate programs, and other offices on campus;
- serve as the Chief Compliance Officer for Title IV federal aid regulations;
- develop, implement, document and manage financial aid strategies, policies, and procedures utilizing industry best practices and exceptional customer service to serve the colleges goals and ensure compliance with federal, state, and local regulations and statutes;
- utilize net tuition revenue models to package financial aid; monitor and verify awards against budget recommendations for any needed corrective action;
- oversee the administration of all student loan programs, including calculations of eligibility, origination of applications, entrance/exit interviews, and serve as liaison to outside agencies; and
- ensure fiscal accountability in fund management, disbursement, and recovery by coordinating technology and information systems for effective administration of student financial aid funds;
- oversee the verification of specific federal and/or state criteria, authorization of payment process, reconciliation with accounting office(s), and R2T4 in compliance with federal and state regulations and colleges policies, while utilizing industry’s best practices;
- complete or direct completion of all external financial aid reports and surveys and serve as liaison with college auditors.
- Familiarity with and an interest in deploying and using imaged based technology.
- Familiarity with and ability to learn and use new technology to enhance communication with parents and students.
- Ability to learn and use technology with the Empower Student Data base system.
- Performs refund calculations.
- Reviews student files.
- Develops and implements a departmental budget.
- Designs and delivers financial aid presentations at student and other college events requiring the sharing of financial aid information.
- Ability to effectively use computer technology in all operations.
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality.
- Must be adept at working with students and parents to achieve satisfaction with the services received in the Financial Aid Office.
- Organizes and oversees student financial aid counseling activities including counseling of students and parents.
- Creates letters and copy for any financial aid office publications.
- Keeps abreast of Federal/State regulations with regard to administration of funds and ensures the College’s continued compliance.
- Provides reports and statistical information as requested and prepares annual Fiscal Operations Report for Federal government.
- Distributes informational material to aid applicants.
- Processes guaranteed student loan, Pell Grants, etc.
- Recommends initiatives to increase the College’s effectiveness in financial aid admission and retention.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance or related field and five year’s comparable work experience, including previous accounting, financial aid and customer service experience required
- Success in roles of increasing responsibility within a Financial Aid office
- In-depth knowledge of best practices and regulations governing federal financial aid programs
- Experience with billing/accounts receivable activities
- Demonstrated ability to supervise, manage and motivate a diverse team
- Exceptional and creative communication and critical thinking skills, combined with the proven ability to move ideas forward in a collaborative manner
- Ability to provide overall direction and analysis for the Financial Aid computer systems and programs; recommend enhancements to existing systems/programs to maximize efficiency and effectiveness
- Proven ability to interact with individuals regarding financial aid and student account challenges in a proactive and positive manner, ensuring that all parties are heard and feel respected in the process and lead a team that provides the same level of customer service.
- Supervises daily operation of the Financial Aid Office including hiring, training, motivating and evaluation of staff.
Contacts: Interacts on a daily basis with students, parents, administration and staff, and outside agencies.
Anna Maria College is an equal opportunity employer.